Raising Two ADVENTURERS to Love Jesus

Raising Two ADVENTURERS to Love Jesus

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Perspective

Do you ever feel like you need to take a few steps back and gain some perspective on your life? I recently did this in my relationship with my (sniff*sniff*) almost 3 year old.  Over the past few months we have been struggling with a battle of wills, especially in regards to his nap time.  When Jonathan and I went to Chicago, I began reading this book that my sister gave me.  I am about 100 pages in and feel like I have underlined something on 90 pages!  When we got home, I began implementing some of Dr. Leman's suggestions on fit throwing, discipline, etc.  I highly recommend it!  
I am not sure if it was just coincidence, or the Lord intervening, but while we were gone, D-man napped everyday!  I asked my mom how she did it, and she told me that she held him in the rocking chair and told him stories until he fell asleep.  Now a little background info: For the past several months, I was unable to keep him in bed to nap.  He would either sing at the top of his lungs to keep himself awake, or come out of his room 500 times.  I tried many different suggestions from friends, too many to list, and it seemed like we would both end up angry and upset.  I did not like myself as a "mom" between the hours of 1:00-3:00pm daily.  Something had to change, yet I KNEW that he still desperately needed his nap.  So I tried what my mom had done.  Scenario: I lay Caleb down in his crib for his afternoon nap (Praise God he puts his sweet self to sleep) then Dylan and I go to his room and climb in the rocking chair.  He requests a story: pirates, Mickey, endless possibilities.  I make up a story and we rock.  After the story, I sing church praise songs to him and wait for him to drift off to sleep.  It is usually a 30 minute process and he naps anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Here is the perspective that I now have as I looked at the whole picture a little different:
-My almost 3 year old is still a baby.  He still needs comfort, love, and one-on-one attention.  Why do we try to make our little ones grow up so fast? 
-I believe part of his acting out at nap was because he knew I was laying him down to go spend time with his baby brother.  He needs Mommy time, too.
-We all leave happy.  He naps which means the afternoon and evening are pleasant.  And I get to spend some cuddling time with my firstborn son that doesn't stop moving unless he is asleep!

This method may seem crazy to some moms.  But it is working for this one.  I needed a new perspective.  Now that I have it, I feel refreshed.  I feel like I can tackle my days without dreading nap time.  So, thanks Mom for starting something new.  Thanks Dr. Leman for some great tips in your book.  Thanks to God for putting it all together.  Everything happens for a reason.  

I love my Dylan more than life itself.  He is one exciting, energetic, loving little boy.  I plan to hold on to all these memories.  And cherish my time with him while he is young.  Because, yes, in the blink of an eye he WILL be a big boy.  





0 comments:

Post a Comment