Raising Two ADVENTURERS to Love Jesus

Raising Two ADVENTURERS to Love Jesus

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Our First Half Marathon

know this blog is only about our boys or things our family does together. But, I am making an exception. Jonathan and I have been training for many months for our first ever half marathon. The boys have cheered us on and endured many of my treadmill runs where they were bored without my undivided attention. 
Race: Little Rock Marathon
Race Day: March 1, 2015
Conditions: 39 degrees, wind, rain

Okay. So we had to run our first ever half marathon in pretty awful conditions! Going into training especially after my brain injury, my first goal was to just finish. My second goal was to complete 13.1 miles in 2hr 30min. My third goal was to have an average mile pace of 10:00min or below. I started out great but hit a brick wall at mile 7. I ran through charlie horses in my feet and cramps in my calves. This was a first for me. After the race, I discussed with my chiropractor my experience. We concluded that my internal body temp dropped due to the conditions and at that point my body started shutting down and it was a fight till the end. I had run in cold temps and rainy temps but never the combo. I didn't have enough clothes on or enough body fat to re-warm. BUT, I still had a finishing time of 2hr 19min. I missed my third and final goal, but I am so happy to have completed 13.1 miles just 6 months after a brain bleed/concussion! I call it a success! Of course, the competitor in me wants to do another one. But I've already told my husband that it may have to be a destination with warmer conditions outside! Jonathan's finishing time was 1hr 46 min. He rocked it out. I was so proud of him. We just are all about staying fit. Running is part of how we are doing that! 
Runners expo with the boys!
In the car waiting to go to the start line....in the rain!
Finish line with my BRF (Best Runner Friend), Rosemary! We had a blast training together!
We did it, babe?!? Now to thaw out in my Epsom Salt bath!



0 comments:

Post a Comment